Beautifully written words have always meant a lot to me. I’ve kept and maintained a list of favourite quotes on Tumblr since high school, which I revisit and reread at least once every few months. As someone who grew up reading a lot, well-written words have a huge impact on me. I even had a John Green quote tattooed on myself after I fell in love with Looking for Alaska (my favourite book of all-time).
I thought I’d do a little post on some of my favourite motivational quotes to inspire you for the new year, starting off with my all-time favourite:
- “If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” -Roald Dahl
- “A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it.” -Anonymous
- “Sometimes, you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand back up taller than you ever were.” -Anonymous
- “Things get better. You will go from standing in the shower thinking ‘god what if this is for the rest of my life’ to ‘god, I hope this is for the rest of my life.’” -Anonymous
- “Someday you will look back and know exactly why it had to happen.” -Anonymous
- “Be strong enough to let go and wise enough to wait for what you deserve.” -Anonymous
- “If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.” -Anonymous
- “A year ago, everything was different. I wouldn’t have pictured myself like this, and now that I look back, I have realized that a year can do a lot to a person.” -Anonymous
- “Two things prevent us from happiness; living in the past and observing others.” -Anonymous
- “If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the actions of others to decrease your good manners, because you represent yourself, not others.” -Mohammad Zeyara
- “Self-love is a good thing but self-awareness is more important. You need to once in a while go ‘uh, I’m kind of an asshole.’” -Louis C.K.
- “Life is too short to sit around and wait for indifferent people to make up their minds about how they feel about you.” -Mike Falzone
- “Know this: you can start over, each morning.” -Tyler Joseph
- “One day I just woke up and realized that I can’t touch yesterday. So why the heck was I letting it touch me?” -Steve Maraboli
- “I am learning everyday to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me.” -Tracee Ellis Ross
- “Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself – what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.” -Warsan Shire
- “Scare the world: be exactly who you say you are and tell the truth.” -Iain Cain Thomas
I hope these quotes inspire or motivate you in some way. Most of these are very dear to my heart. I also have a Pinterest board dedicated to inspirational quotes if you’re interested in seeing more. Have an amazing and successful 2017, friends!
Latest posts by Jessica Lam (see all)
- Summer Road Trip with Ford Canada: Hamilton, Ontario - June 22, 2017
- Exploring Ontario: South Pond Farms, Kawartha Lakes - June 15, 2017
- Blogging Q&A (Blue Sky Tag) - June 12, 2017