Beautifully written words have always meant a lot to me. I’ve kept and maintained a list of favourite quotes on Tumblr since high school, which I revisit and reread at least once every few months. As someone who grew up reading a lot, well-written words have a huge impact on me. I even had a John Green quote tattooed on myself after I fell in love with Looking for Alaska (my favourite book of all-time).
I thought I’d do a little post on some of my favourite motivational quotes to inspire you for the new year, starting off with my all-time favourite:
- “If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” -Roald Dahl
- “A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it.” -Anonymous
- “Sometimes, you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand back up taller than you ever were.” -Anonymous
- “Things get better. You will go from standing in the shower thinking ‘god what if this is for the rest of my life’ to ‘god, I hope this is for the rest of my life.’” -Anonymous
- “Someday you will look back and know exactly why it had to happen.” -Anonymous
- “Be strong enough to let go and wise enough to wait for what you deserve.” -Anonymous
- “If it is important enough to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse.” -Anonymous
- “A year ago, everything was different. I wouldn’t have pictured myself like this, and now that I look back, I have realized that a year can do a lot to a person.” -Anonymous
- “Two things prevent us from happiness; living in the past and observing others.” -Anonymous
- “If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them. Do not allow the actions of others to decrease your good manners, because you represent yourself, not others.” -Mohammad Zeyara
- “Self-love is a good thing but self-awareness is more important. You need to once in a while go ‘uh, I’m kind of an asshole.’” -Louis C.K.
- “Life is too short to sit around and wait for indifferent people to make up their minds about how they feel about you.” -Mike Falzone
- “Know this: you can start over, each morning.” -Tyler Joseph
- “One day I just woke up and realized that I can’t touch yesterday. So why the heck was I letting it touch me?” -Steve Maraboli
- “I am learning everyday to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me.” -Tracee Ellis Ross
- “Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself – what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.” -Warsan Shire
- “Scare the world: be exactly who you say you are and tell the truth.” -Iain Cain Thomas
I hope these quotes inspire or motivate you in some way. Most of these are very dear to my heart. I also have a Pinterest board dedicated to inspirational quotes if you’re interested in seeing more. Have an amazing and successful 2017, friends!
P.S. if you liked this post, you might like this post on simple ways to clean up your social media accounts.